How to play as USA – Airbourne
This strategy isn’t perfect, but has been the standard lineup for a lot of replays that I’ve seen recently and seems pretty solid. USA late game is pretty lame in the recent patch, therefore the recommendation on the M8A1 to counter troops and encourage aggressive capping to prevent the enemy having the supplies to build tanks, rather than building more AT/Jackson’s and countering the tanks.
Here’s a replay of WiseBoarGuy implementing the strategy – http://www.coh2.org/replay/22890/in-before-blitz-airborne-start–nice-example
Your primary goal is to prevent your enemy accessing fuel so they can’t get tanks out – put the pressure on and don’t lose any squads!
First up build three rifle squads and cap as much ground as possible, then build the Ambulance.
- The ambulance is very weak and slow, make sure you keep it off the front line and hide behind buildings and hedges
- Units can only reinforce off an ambulance when stationary
- Disembark the Ambulance crews and the drivers become medics that will heal squads
- Some players suggest taking your Ambulance crew back to base and using RE’s to re-crew – this allows you to fully heal units that have retreated back to base
Once you have 1 command point build a Pathfinder to support your riflemen.
- Excels in long range but are very weak – keep your pathfinder behind your riflemen to pick off enemies from afar
- Pathfinders will go invisible if in cover and not firing
- They have a chance to kill one squad member on their first shot
- Can drop beacons which are then used to make airdrops more accurate and can re-inforce your paratroopers
You should now have pretty good map dominance, and a steady flow of manpower – drop in a .50cal MG to your frontline and re-crew with your Rifles or Rear Echelon (Rear Echelon’s are cheaper!).
.50cal MG Tips
- Quick setup time (comparable to Maxium)
- The .50 cal has good killing power (comparable to DshK )
- Will allow you to combat OKW Pios without need for bar’s
- Drop near ambulance then use Rear Echelonto crew then re-inforce (this is cheapest option)
- Has 2 bazookas and a thomson
- use for flanking but do not charge enemies in cover
- Keep near other units and he’ll get levelled up
- Use the ‘on me’ to auto retreat nearby rifles to captain
- Breaks suporession for all units on screen
- Weapon damage bonus
- Defense bonus
- Use the ‘ Supervise Production’ ability to speed up the tank build times (as they usually take 90ish seconds and can be reduced to 10/15 seconds)
- Push out stuart tank
- Can repair itself thanks to US vehicle crews
- Is really good at killing infantry
- Fears no enemy light armor because of its “Stun Barrage” attack.
- Scales up into the late game because it can reliably blind and stun any enemy armor
- Don’t forget to use smoke to push up against MG’s!
Mid to late game
- Get your major as soon as you’ve got enough Fuel after buying your Stuart
- Your captain is horrible on the font lines – so keep him back (ideally with your Ambo to create a forward HQ)
- Keep the pressure on and keep capping! Retreat and ensure you get those rifles vetted
- Build a M8A1 and swap crews with the Stuart (this will pass on the vetrancy!)
- Use the stuart in a support role
- Use the pathfinders to scout for your M8A1 and lob shells over hedgerows
- You should be able to take out any static MG’s and AT guns with ease
- Build a secondary M8A1 as soon as you have enough Fuel
- Build a Jackson to support your AT guns
- Keep the Jackson back (it’s very fragile!)
- Research grenades for a bit more oomph
- If you lose rifle squads replace them with Para’s (as they can upgrade to BAR’s without the need to research at the HQ)
- Para’s with BAR’s will beat Fallscrimjagers and Obersoldaten and they cost the same and can reinforce from the Pathfinder beacons
- Paratroopers are great long-range (thanks to the BAR’s)
- If you have sufficient fuel and munitions roll with the Bazooka upgrade and equip your Rifles
- By now you should have the upper hand – if not (and the enemy has panthers/tigers) your only hope is to use your Stuart lock down to disable and flank with multiple AT’s and Jacksons
- If you’re up against more than one tank you’ll need the P-47 Thunderbolt Rocket Strafe – but by that time it’s probably too late
- Keep your squads in pairs – Sturmpioneers are STRONG and you’ll have trouble beating them 1v1
- Keep you Rear Echelon’s in cover and use ‘volley fire’ to pin Surmpio’s – the closer they are the better 🙂
- Cap aggressively and scout and find their truck asap
- If you notice your OKW opponent has a Battlegroup HQ then they’re most likely going to attempt to use kubelwagens, MG34 & then Infantry Support Gun to lock down map regions.
- The trick here is to spread your units out to cap as much of the map as possible, avoiding their HQ truck and making sure you don’t get locked down by their Kubel’s and MG34’s.
- Flaking is your friend and use your droppable MG’s to prevent the enemy from re-capping sections.
- Use your pathfinders to spot for your MG’s and AT guns – keep your ambulance close by to reinforce on the front lines.
- Build a Stuart as soon as possible and hit any light armour with the ‘stun barrage’ then finish it off with your AT’s.
- Creep towards their truck then take it out long-range with your AT’s.
- Mechanised Regiment HQ
- Mechanised Regiment HQ’s can push out light armour fast (i.e. 4 to 5 minutes in).
- Guard your Ambulance! Keep it in safe spot and make sure they don’t track it down before you can counter their armour.
- You won’t be able to counter their armour until you get a Stuart, Captian or AT guns, so avoid them at all costs in the early game.
- The puma will beat the Stuart one-on-one, it has longer range and is stronger.
- Use buildings and cover to blind-side it and make the most of the stun/engine kill ability and finish it off with your AT or twin-bazooka Captain
Vs AA Halftrack
- You may be able to defeat the halftrack with your rifles vet 1 Anti-tank rifle, however it’s best to conserve reinforcements and avoid the halftrack until you have your Captain or AT gun ready.
- Your riflemen are better than the Grenadier squads close up (but the Grens are better at long range) – move up close and keep your Rifles in cover for the best results
- If they push out MG42’s make sure you spread out and flank
- Scout cars can be annoying until you get your MG drop and captain, but are easy kills against Stuarts
- Oswind flakpanzers are fast and deadly against your rifles, so make sure you cover them with AT’s and use the Stuarts to flank and disable